ACSS is composed out of annealed 1350-0 aluminum wires, surrounding a galvanized steel core or aluminum clad steel core.
ACSS can operate in high temperatures up to 250 C0, it has high conductivity therefore, it sags less and has self damping properties if pre stretched along installation. ACSS has low tensile strength and it''s aluminum wires are considered as they contribute almost nothing to the conductor tensile strength.
ACSS is recommended for use for high temperature lines mainly when reconductoring is done over an existing line construction. In this case same tensions and loads are applied over the line but higher currents can be transferred.
Moseroth ACSS conductor meets or exceeds the following ASTM specifications:
• B341 Aluminum-Coated Steel Core Wire for Aluminum Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
• B500 Metallic Coated Stranded Steel Core For Aluminum Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
• B609 Aluminum 1350 Round Wire, Annealed and Intermediate Tempers, for Electrical Purposes.
• B802 Zinc-5% Aluminum-Mischmetal Alloy-Coated Steel Core Wire for Aluminum Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
• B803 High-Strength Zinc-5% Aluminum-Mischmetal Alloy-Coated Steel Core Wire for Aluminum and Aluminum-Alloy
Conductors, Steel Reinforced.
• B856 Concentric-Lay-Stranded Aluminum Conductors, Coated Steel Supported (ACSS).
The strandings available are identical to those listed in ASTM specification B232.